Thursday, June 24, 2010

Newsflash: Sleep is overrated.

Before I get into the benefits of not sleeping, I wanted to remind you that, if you're going to ALA this weekend, my seriously cool editor will be there with Personal Demons ARCs! Stop by the Macmillan booth and pick one up!

So...sleep. It's sort of a waste of time, don't you think? I mean, all you do it lay there—unconscious, no less. Where's the fun in that? I believe in utilizing my time. I like to joke that I have a day job (my clinic), a night job (writing), and a weekend job (lecturing medical seminars all over God's green earth). When people find out that I work not one, but two other jobs, I invariably get the question: When do you find time to write?

The answer is simple. All the time.

This is a vlog that I did for the Elevensies’ A Day in the Writing Life series. Thought I’d share it with you.

6 comments:

  1. I've heard a few writers come to this conclusion when it comes to sleep and I still disagree. Without sleep, I wouldn't have most of my wonderful ideas. Dreams are the reason I sleep as they are even more helpful than a shower sometimes for solving writing issues. But either way, it's good to find time to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there are several authors who say their idea came to them in a dream. That's never happened to me. I'm more likely to lay awake all night while my characters have conversations in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does vary. Sometimes I get ideas from sleep, while other times ideas keep me from sleep. Oh the joys of dreams and insomnia. Forced sleep from meds isn't as good. *nods*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that vlog and am more impressed than ever about how you get so much done. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lot lf my ideas just before I go to sleep. I think the act of being forced to just lie there helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you know how much I would LOVE to be at ALA to get an ARC? Only I'm in the UK *sobs*

    ReplyDelete