Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A LITTLE TOO FAR Character Week--Rome

Today is A LITTLE TOO FAR's birthday, and I'm so happy it's out there in the world for you all to read. So many lovely bloggers and Goodreads reviewers have already posted reviews. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to read! Initially, I was afraid to look. I've got stepbrother sex, and a tempted soon-to-be-priest--all the things that I KNEW were going to piss some people off. But here's the thing... People are reading and discovering all those things are not there just for "shock value." I didn't set out to write some scandalous, controversial book just to sell copies. I sat down with a character in my head. She seemed pretty cool to me, and she had a story to tell. I wrote it down. That's it.

I think the reason A LITTLE TOO FAR is getting such lovely reviews from readers is because everything in the story feels organic to Lexie's journey. I didn't have an agenda, and it never really occurred to me that people might consider what she goes through to be controversial, or over-the-top. My take-away from the reviews I've read is that the taboo doesn't read as taboo. It's just natural and authentic. I'm glad, because I LOVE Lexie, Trent, and Alessandro, and I'd hate for them to get lost in controversy or scandal. I want them to shine, just like the last character from A LITTLE TOO FAR, who I'm introducing you to today!

You've met Lexie, Trent, and Alessandro. Last but not least on A LITTLE TOO FAR Character Week is Rome! I set this novel in Rome for selfish reasons. I adore Rome, and was able to relive my time there in Lexie's Roman experience. Rome has a life of its own, which I tried to bring to life on the page in a way that would allow my readers to experience it even if you've never been.

There's this:













And this:
 And this:






















And here is Lexie's first ever apartment!





















I hope this give you a visual for some of the places described in the book. Rome is one of my favorite places on Earth. Let me know what you think once you've read.

And, since it's publication day, I want to take a second to thank my amazing New Leaf Literary and HarperCollins teams. My omnipotent uber-agent, Suzie Townsend, has surpassed by far anything I could have hoped for in the perfect advocate. She's tireless and ferociously talented and a total rockstar. The day she sent my little manuscript to my crazy fabulous editor was the luckiest day of my life. And, speaking of my crazy fabulous editor, every step of this process has been a joy because of Amanda. She and the whole William Morrow staff have been beyond supportive, and I feel so blessed to have ended up in such an amazing publishing home. Thanks and smooches to all of you! And thanks to all you readers who have picked up a copy of A LITTLE TOO FAR! It's because of you that I can do what I love for a living. You are my favorite people!

No comments:

Post a Comment